Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday 4/16/09

It's an odd thing- the more I settle in here the more surreal it sometimes seems. I guess after a few months you automatically begin observing and analyzing things and people from an alternate standpoint. Everywhere I go there seems to be odd situations and characters that I cannot quite pin down and explain- at least not in a blog form. Not unlike a David Lynch movie sometimes. Not so much the dark side of his films but in the way that you often have to play connect the dots with your own imaginations to make sense of characters and situations. That's kind of what I'm working with here, only I'm one of the characters at the same time.

Another interesting feature that I've become fascinated with are girls t-shirts. These shirts seem to be leading an unintentional dada movement- people like Tristan Tzara and Hugo Ball would be proud. They are the most random English phrases plastered across the front of t-shirt. Most do not make any literal sense at all- as if a cut-up technique was used. However, I think it is just a misunderstanding of the language. It reminds me of when everyone thought it was cool to get Japanese or Chinese lettering as tattoos. I wonder how absurd those look to the Japanese or Chinese. I'm going to begin to compile a list of some of these phrases so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. Should be more pictures on the way as well. Rock on-
ian

Currently Reading-
1) Dinner With Mugabe- Heidi Holland
2) Lynch On Lynch- David Lynch / Chris Rodley ed.

Currently Listening
1) Lewis & Clarke- Light Time EP
2) Tim Hecker- An Imaginary Country
3) KTL- IV
4) Tom Waits- Swordfishtrombones
5) Wipers- Box Set
6) Nocturnal Emissions- Drowning In A Sea of Bliss
7) Fela Kuti- Zombie
8) Durutti Column- Vini Reilly
9) Trees- On The Shore
10) Bee Gees- Odessa

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ian -
    Girls T-Shirts? Careful - staring too long can get you into trouble...Starting to enjoy some nice weather here finally. This weekend it is supposed to get up to about 80 degrees.
    Doing some yardwork recently so haven't
    been reading much, although I do plan on getting the latest Harlan Coben book soon...
    Don't recognize anyone on your listening list except for Tom Waits & The Bee Gees!!

    Currently listening to:

    Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger
    George Harrison - Extra Texture
    Coldplay - Viva La Vida
    Crowded House - Best Of
    Joseph Arthur - Redemption's Son

    ReplyDelete