Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday April 6, 2009

Monday April 6, 10:00pm-

Last week I went to my first Japanese Tea Ceremony. I really do not know too much about them, but was invited by one of my students to go along. Being such an unknown experience for me and knowing the Japanese way of doing things in such a precise manner, I was quite nervous going into it.

It really is an art form. Every movement and every word is rehearsed and perfected beforehand. It is not unlike watching a ballet or a theater group. Those who host tea ceremonies have years of practice and study under their belts. Some of these bowls that they used are worth an obscene amount of money. Before going into the tea room I was told how expensive they were and didn't even want to touch them. Since I went with a few people who were familiar with the ceremony, I was able to parrot what they were saying and doing. I don't think I looked too terribly awkward. Still rather fascinating.

5 comments:

  1. Ian I fell behind and had to catch up. I made a comment on your rant page before I saw there were newer posts. I like the pictures where were they taken??

    Have a GREAT EASTER....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ian. Hope all is well with you. Sounds like you're having an interesting time there. We're enjoying reading your blog! What did you do for Easter? Was there any kind of different celebration there?

    Hey, when you're done teaching English over there, maybe you can come back and teach Uncle Bruce how to use punctuation, and how to spell competitive.

    Look forward to hearing more from you!

    Uncle Gene

    ReplyDelete
  3. So a Tea Ceremony. Is it like a cocktail party? What type of things are said?
    What movements? I feel somewhat silly asking, but I don't quite think I know what
    it is... I'd be petrified of breaking the bowls though...

    Easter was kind of a bummer for us. I guess you heard that our Aunt Margaret died, and we also had a friend of ours that died. Tricia and I both had to work, and it rained most of the day and was very windy also. Cherry blossoms are in bloom here and Marilyn & I will probably go to Branch Brook Park this weekend. My mom always used to take us there when I was little. They have the most trees
    in the country - even more than Washington D.C.

    Currently listening to:

    Renaissance - Scheherazade and other Stories
    Til Tuesday - Best of
    Kings of Leon - Only by the night (Still!!)
    Beatles - Let It Be
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Todd Rundgren - Hermit Of Mink Hollow

    Recently saw the movies:

    The Knowing - with Nicholas Cage. Pretty good
    Twilight - For a vampire movie, I liked it
    Slumdog Millionaire - Really liked it

    Currently reading:

    Nothing at the immediate moment.

    Talk to you soon

    Loved your pictures! Send more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! The pictures were taken from Korakuen Garden in Okayama and @ Kibitsu Shrine also in Okayama. Tea Ceremony is a formal affair where many gather in a square formation and a host serves you tea. It is more of a sacred event as opposed to a social one. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures but if you do a google search you will find some.

    ReplyDelete