Sunday, October 18, 2009

Monday October, 19 2009

New surroundings and a new schedule to shake up the brain a bit. I moved into a new apartment right in the main part of the city which is a much more comfortable abode than the last. The last one was not unlike a hotel room. I've also taken on a much busier schedule which has forced me to focus a bit harder. Well, maybe not harder but differently. I've been obsessed with focusing and the general functions of the brain in general. Every morning I play logic and strategy games on the computer and I have been reading a lot about how we think and how certain synapses are triggered.

I've also finally caught up with "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia." I love it! Watching it has inspired me to pull out some half ideas I had several years ago that were intended for a comedy sketch show that obviously never materialized. Two of my friends back home are helping me out with some ideas which I will disclose a bit later but I'm very excited about what's been put down in ink right now. More to come...
Currently Reading-
1) Freakonomics by Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner
2) Think Smart- A Neuroscientist's Prescription for Improving Your Brain's Performance

Currently Listening-
1) Jim O'Rourke- The Visitor
2) The Flaming Lips- Embryonic
3) Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
4) Bjork- Homogenic
5) Autechre- Chiastic Slide
6) Thom Yorke- FeelingPulledApartByHorses (single)
7) Dragon Turtle / Goodnight Stars Goodnight Air- Split
8) Brian Eno- Music For Films
9) Donna Summer- "Working the Midnight Shift"
10) Ricky Nelson- "Fools Rush In"
11) Joan Baez- "Sweet Sir Galahad"

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ian! Interesting that you are learning about the brain...what a mysterious organ. What is your new schedule like in Japan? Glad you have seen "It's Always Sunny...", it's a fun show.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started watching "It's Always Sunny", I didn't know you watched. I have so many things to tell you, I'll try to catch you on skype this weekend. Glad you're liking your new place!
    love, Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ian -
    Sounds like you're keeping busy. Moving (to me) was always such a hassle - glad I don't have to do that anymore - at least for now.
    I haven't seen "Sunny" yet - but I hear it is
    pretty good. As far as the brain goes - I was always fascinated by memory games, etc..
    Also used to enjoy reading about Uri Geller - the guy who could bend spoons and stop watches with his mind (they later claimed he was a fraud - but I do believe there is something there...)
    Girls are busy and I've been just straightening up my basement (or the Beatles Room as Aunt Marilyn would call it) They got me the new ROCKBAND for an early b-day present and I have to tell you - it's pretty freakin' awesome... I DID actually breakdown and purchase a few of the remasters - I can tell slightly by listening to the White album that there is a differnce. I heard piano in songs I never heard piano before...
    As far as reading goes - I just finished
    Dan Brown's "the Lost Symbol" which I enjoyed,
    Also read James Patterson's "Cross's Trial" and I am currently reading "Confederacy of Dunces"
    On the music scene:
    COPELAND - You are my sunshine
    WILCO - The album
    Kings of Leon - Only by the night (STILL!!!)
    John Lennon - Imagine
    Moody Blues - Octave
    Genesis - Wind & Wuthering
    Strawbs - Dancing to the Devils Beat (New)
    Radiohead - The Bends
    Clannad - Past Present Future
    and whatever else I pick off the SQUEEZEBOX
    which I absolutely LOVE!

    Well take care and as it is rapidly approaching Thanksgiving I will say that I will miss seeing you and hope you enjoy it over there. (Do they even have Turkey in Japan?)
    I haven't looked into Skype yet - but plan to really soon. The squeezebox does use alot of my computer and slows things down qquite a bit...

    ReplyDelete