Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday 8/11/09



Went to see some incredible art last weekend. Quite possibly the greatest museum I have visited- at least it made me think more than any other. There is a small island called, Naoshima, right below Okayama. The island's main attraction is its contemporary art museums and art houses. The Chichu Art Museum is possibly the greatest museum I've yet experienced. The museum is actually housed in the side of a mountain (which I believe Chichu means "underground"). The museum only depends on natural light from the outside to illuminate the works. As a result, the works will appear differently depending on the weather or time of day.
The museum forces you to consider the natural art that we experience every day. Absolutely brilliant.

The island also features many "art houses" which are small houses that house these really great exhibits. "A Sea of Time" features small multicolored LED lights underwater in a darkened room. Unfortunately the museums do not allow cameras inside so I could not get any pictures, but steer around this link: http://www.naoshima-is.co.jp/

I've been busy- I am trying to write more, however, it will be in more of a fragmented blog style-random thoughts here and there.

Currently Reading-
1) Idoru- William Gibson
2) Shakey- Neil Young Biography- Jimmy McDonough

Currently Listening-
1) Neil Young- Archives Vol I (DVD)
2) Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Zuma
3) Food- Veggie
4) Adam Franklin- Spent Bullets
5) Taraf De Haidouks- Band of Gypsies
6) Huntsville- Eco, Arches, & Eras

No comments:

Post a Comment